Norra Vallgatan 66
i Malmö
During a major renovation in 1963, the building was named the Dringenberg House. It was named after the property’s first known owner, who served as mint master in Malmö in the mid-15th century. However, it is not Henrik Dringenberg who has a statue on the street, but rather the well-known industrialist and more, Frans Suell (IDstory), who is regarded as one of the founders of Malmö Harbor at the beginning of the 19th century.
Norra Vallgatan 66 – no. 1 in block no. 32, Jörgen Kock, is one of Malmö’s oldest preserved houses. In a document from 1463, the mint master’s house is referenced. Henrik Dringenberg was mint master between 1455–1492. It was a highly profitable position and a large enterprise. For a period, all Danish coins were minted at Malmö Castle, until the business moved to Jörgen Kock’s house, which can be seen in the background of the photo beside it.
Tenants and owners
- Shops and other businessesꜜ
- Vacant premises: not updated
- Owner: not updated
Henrik Dringenberg was buried around 1500 in the chapel of St. Peter’s Church, which he had financed himself. The chapel was demolished in 1792.
Customs officer Johan Poppelman is the first Swede to own the house.
He enters the stage (the property) around 1690, and quite a lot is known about the house from that time, as a neighbor dispute resulted in numerous legal documents.
Spinning house and school
In the mid-18th century, the property served as a spinning house ↗svW for several decades. A Petter Cronsioe, whose wife gave her name to their summer residence Heleneholm, owned the house at his death in 1823.
The City of Malmö became the new owner of the house, and among the tenants were the Estates of the Realm, who were to use the cellar “for the storage of the great treasury chest.” Thus began the operations of Sweden’s Riksbank in Malmö.
The status of the building was clearly on its way up again, and in 1827 it became a school and institute of learning. Much Latin was drilled there, and as Theodor Holmberg wrote during a student examination in 1871: “...we placed the white cap on our heads, took a cane in hand, walked singing of the student’s happy day through the promenades, and marched free and proud, without reproach, into Kramer’s Hotel for the smorgasbord, schnapps, and beefsteak...”
In 1879, the school period ended due to overcrowding. Malmö Latin School, with its charter from 1406, moved into a new building.
In 1885, a name that we still recognize today appeared: Kramer. The Fritz Kramer family moved onto the second floor, and the attic floor now became part of the hotel business.
Insurance House
In 1938, the property was purchased by the insurance company Malmö, which in 1949 merged into the insurance joint-stock company Skåne.
Photo L. Lydig. Retouched by JS
The company, which had its head office at Norra Vallgatan 64, needed more space and in 1963 began a major renovation of no. 66. There is extensive documentation of this work.

In 1915, the well-known sculpture of Frans Suell (IDstory) was unveiled. The sculptor was Anders Trulsson.
(Photo and retouching – JS).
References
About BiBB, a media company and an encyclopedia 4.0- W Edenheim, Dringenbergska gården - Försäkringsaktiebolaget Skåne - 1964
- Om Dringenbergska gården på Wikipedia
- Text/photo/web: Johan Schlasberg
Published: 2006.06 Updated: 2025.09.06
Text us a comment by
by clicking here [ opens your app ]
Use your mobile to Text us a comment to +46 (0) 760 34 32 20.
Förslag till förbättringar av BiBB är välkomna
You know a lot, we may add a little®